Friday, August 3, 2007

Week 9 Activity 20 YouTube Experience

I learned that there was a video contest regarding school libraries and many of the videos posted were clever advertisements. I also found a very funny video advertising a Library Workout that made me laugh out loud.

But I selected a video teaching viewers how to bypass school, college and business filters because I learned more from it than from any of the advertisements. This video by Jimmy.com has been viewed more than 28,000 times! There were several videos of this sort to choose from. The one I selected to post wasn't particularly entertaining, but very informative, offering several options for people wanting to view MySpace from a school computer, rather than just one. It was clearly narrated, while others just showed the screens and typing, but no narration. As educators, we have a lot to learn from YouTube.


I was actually a little disappointed in the quality of videos I found on TeacherTube. Most of the library videos were made by someone whose sense of humor just did not appeal to me. And their videos buffer, causing a little viewer frustration. I wonder if the buffering would show up if the video was posted to a blog?

No comments: